The United Kingdom has left the European Union. Their withdrawal has affected the opportunity for UK citizens to study in Sweden, and for Swedish citizens to study in the UK. Even exchange with the UK through the Erasmus+ programme is affected.

The United Kingdom formally left the EU on 1 February 2020. Since 1 January 2021, a new trade and cooperation agreement between the EU and UK has been in effect.

On this page, you can find information on how this will impact:

  • Erasmus exchange
  • higher education studies
  • recognition of qualifications
  • working with a professional qualification

Erasmus exchange in the United Kingdom

Following their withdrawal from the EU, the UK will not be participating in the upcoming Erasmus+ 2021-2027 programme period. If you’re currently studying at a Swedish higher education institution (HEI) that has an ongoing agreement with a UK university from the 2020 Erasmus+ mobility, it may be possible for you to participate in a student exchange with the UK. Contact your Swedish HEI to find out more. A student visa is required in certain situations for exchange studies in the UK from 1 January 2021.

Find out more about student visas and residence permits at the Embassy of Sweden in the United Kingdom's website

Consult a guide at the UK government's website to find out if you need a visa

UK citizens and higher education studies in Sweden

Citizens of countries outside the EU, EES and Switzerland must pay application and tuition fees for higher education studies in Sweden. This now applies to UK citizens. There are exceptions for UK citizens who resided in Sweden before 31 December 2020.

Information regarding Brexit at

Applying for recognition of foreign qualifications

If you’ve completed studies in the UK and wish to apply for an assessment of your education in Sweden, you must have a valid residence permit and work permit in Sweden. You can find out more about what applies to you as a citizen of a country outside the EU/EES here at this website.

I’d like to apply for an assessment

Brexit does not impact how UHR assesses qualifications. We use the same method as before.

You can also use UHR’s Qualifications Assessment Tool to find to find out what a qualification from the UK is comparable to in Sweden.

UHR’s Qualifications Assessment Tool

If you have a Swedish qualification and would like to have it assessed in the UK, contact UK Naric for more information.

Find out more at UK Naric’s website

Working in a regulated profession after Brexit

In short, the following applies from 1 January 2021 for recognition of professional qualifications for work cross-border between the EU and the UK in a regulated profession:

  • An earlier decision regarding recognition of professional qualifications still applies even after the day of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.
  • Applications submitted by 31 December 2020 for recognition of permanent professional practice to and from the UK will be processed according to EU regulations.
  • Applications submitted after 31 December 2020 for recognition of professional qualifications for access to a regulated profession to and from the UK are no longer covered by EU regulations.

Under the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement now concluded between the EU and the UK, it will be possible for the various professional categories to merge and apply for negotiations to begin to establish agreements with the UK on the recognition of professional qualifications by professional category.


You can submit your questions Sweden’s Assistance Centre for Professional Qualifications at UHR

Last updated: 22 March 2022