How do I apply?

Here you find all information on how to apply for an assessment.

I have problems logging in with my BankID, what should I do?

UHR can't answer questions about BankID. Please contact their support for help.

Which documents should I upload?

You'll find all information about what documents to submit here.

Can I take photos of my documents with my mobile phone?

If the quality of the details in the document are good and the documents, preferably in colour, are saved as pdf-files, then photos of the documents are okey.

Please remember that you can always send in documents by ordinary post to us. Remember to submit the documents as soon as possible since a case with no submitted documents automatically closes after 30 days.

Send the documents to:

The Swedish council for higher education /Universitets- och högskolerådet
PO Box 4030
SE-171 04 Solna

Can I submit documents via file storage services like Google Drive?

No, we do not accept files that have to be downloaded via a file storage service. Upload the documents in pdf-format in the application. If you have received an e-mail from us asking for additional documents, you can respond to the e-mail and submit your documents in pdf-format.

Do I need to submit certified copies?

No, when you apply for an evaluation of your foregin education you should upload scanned orginal documents in as good quality as possible, preferably in color.

If you then need to submit additional documents to the same case with the same registration number, you should send copies by ordinary postal service. These copies do not need to be certified either.

Do you require certain documents for some countries?

Yes, you find other ways to submit documents here. 

How do I contact the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR)?

Send an e-mail to if your enquiry relates to the evaluation of foreign qualifications. See other contacts.

If you have papers you wish to send to us, such as copies or original documents that we have asked you to send to us, please send them to:

The Swedish council for higher education/Universitets- och högskolerådet
PO Box 4030
SE-171 04 Solna

To what address should I ask my school to send my documents?

If you have studied in a country where we have asked that the documents should be sent from the school to us, please send them to:

The Swedish council for higher education/Universitets- och högskolerådet
PO Box 4030
SE-171 04 Solna

Other ways to submit documents.

How does UHR process my personal data?

In order to be able to perform the tasks for which UHR is responsible, we need to process personal data.  Find more information regarding how UHR is processing personal data.

I have changed my name – what do I do?

If the name on your certificates is different to that you use now, you will need to prove that you have changed you name. You former name may be on your “personbevis”, wedding certificate or other certification that shows both names.

I do not have a Swedish personal identity number - what do I do?

If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number you can still make an application. You do need to upload document(s) that proofs that you are either a citizen of an EU/EEA country or have a residence permit, work permit or valid LMA card.

There are several ways to show that you have the right to make an application, see this link for all information: Documenting your right to apply.

I have a protected identity – what do I do?

If you have a protected identity you should not use this web application. You must then submit paper forms.

I have sought asylum in Sweden but have not received a residence permit - what do I need to submit?

You can still apply for an evaluation of your foreign credentials even If you haven't received a residence permit in Sweden yet. Just make sure that you upload document(s) that proofs your personal information; your name, date of birth and document(s) that proofs that you are either a citizen of an EU/EEA country or have a residence permit, work permit or valid LMA card.

There are several ways to show that you have the right to make an application.

I want to work as a teacher in Sweden – what do I do?

If you have a foreign teaching degree and want to work in Sweden, you can apply for an evaluation of your foreign qualification at the Swedish Council for Higher Education.

However, the statement does not provide certification and cannot be used to obtain permanent employment as a teacher. It can be used to make it easier for you to apply for another job or for an employer to see whether your qualifications are suitable for a fixed-term appointment in a school.

Teachers and pre-school teachers are regulated professions in Sweden, read more and see a list here.

What is a regulated profession?

Some professions are regulated through Swedish legislation that defines what is required to work within a certain profession, e.g. a particular qualification or authorisation, certification or other formal recognition.

If you wish to work in any of the below professions you should contact the competent authority and apply for the right to practise in that profession.

See a list of all regulated professions.

What does my statement mean?

The statement provides guidance for employers or for Swedish higher education institutions if you apply for courses in Sweden. It can be regarded as a complement to your foreign degree, not a replacement.

If you have completed a foreign upper-secondary education and want an evaluation so that you can apply to higher education, the evaluation will look at whether your education gives access to university studies in Sweden or not. If your upper-secondary education gives you access to higher education the recognition statement will also show whether your education provides you with specific entry requirements for particular subjects. You can use this to know what you need to add to your education before continuing to studies at higher level. If you have a vocational upper-secondary education that does not give you access to higher education in Sweden, the recognition statement will show what degree awarded and the alignment of the education.

If you have a higher education or a higher vocational education you will receive a statement that compares your foreign qualification to a Swedish degree. In a comment, we describe the focus (content) of the foreign qualification.

If we are unable to recognise your qualification, i.e. we cannot issue a statement about your education, you will receive a letter in which we explain why. If possible, we refer you to other public authorities and organisations.

Learn about your digital recognition statement?

UHR’s recognition statement is a digitally certified document sent to your email address.

The recognition statement is issued as an electronic document with digital certification, not as a paper product. To prove the document is authentic and issued by UHR, a certified document blue bar with signature details is displayed.

It is possible to open the recognition statement in any PDF reader, but the certified document blue bar is only visible in Adobe Acrobat on a computer. The blue bar is not visible in mobile phones or tablets.

What should I do with my statement?

The statement is primarily intended to provide information to employers about your foreign qualifications and their Swedish equivalent. Save the statement and use it when you apply for jobs.

Does it cost anything to apply for an evaluation?

No, the Swedish council for higher education's evaluation of your foreign qualifications is free of charge.

Can I appeal the recognition statement?

The recognition statement is not an official decision and thus cannot be appealed. You can, however, ask for a review of the assessment. To do so, please send us an email with your registration number and state your concerns. Please note that education systems differ from country to country, which means that a foreign qualification sometimes does not fulfil the criteria that are needed for the Swedish equivalent.

Please contact us if you have any questions at all on how the assessment was carried out. E-mail:

Why aren’t all the subjects I’ve studied on the statement?

UHR’s statement of academic and post-secondary vocational education is primarily an evaluation of educational level and therefore only provides a general indication in terms of subjects. It is up to the relevant higher education institution or employer to make a more detailed assessment of your education.

UHR’s statement on upper-secondary education evaluates both whether your upper-secondary education provides basic eligibility and access for higher education or not and the level to which some upper-secondary subjects are equivalent in Swedish upper-secondary education. UHR only evaluates subjects that may be demanded as specific entry requirements for Swedish higher education. These include mathematics, English, physics, etc. Subjects such as computing, psychology and economics are not specific requirement courses, so these subjects are not included in the statement of your upper-secondary education.

A pure vocational upper-secodanry education will not give access to university studies and therefore no specific subject either.

I want to study abroad. Can UHR evaluate what my degree is equivalent to in that country?

Unfortunately we are unable to do this. UHR evaluates foreign qualifications and finds the Swedish equivalents, not the other way round. It is the job of the host country to make that evaluation.

If you have a Swedish degree and need to find the equivalent for the country in which you want to work or study, you must contact that country’s equivalent to UHR. For example, you can go to

How do I get my documents translated?

You can find a translator by contacting Kammarkollegiet or the Federation of Authorised Translators. If there are no authorised translators for the language you require, you can use a translator who is a member of the Swedish Association of Professional Translators.

Which documents need to be translated?

If you have a upper-secondary education, post secondary vocational education or higher education, documents that are issued in a language other than English, French, Spanish, German or the Nordic languages must be translated. The translation must be done by an authorised translator to Swedish or one of the above languages.

How long is the waiting period?

Before we can begin an evaluation you must have uploaded all the documents that are necessary, i.e. “personbevis”/passport, proof of name change (if you have changed name since you graduated), degree certificate, official transcript and translations. Once we have received all the documents, the normal waiting period is 2 to 5 months, depending on our workload.

Who can get a statement?

Only you who hold an EU/EEA citizenship or have applied for a residence permit in Sweden can have your qualifications evaluated by UHR. We evaluate foreign qualifications from upper-secondary level (that provides entry to higher education) and upwards (post-secondary vocational education and higher education).

I have a foreign PhD – what do I do?

If you want an evaluation of a foreign doctoral degree (PhD) you should state it as the evaluation of a higher education qualification. In addition to certificates and official transcripts, you should append documentation of your thesis: a copy of the thesis' title page, the contents and the summary/abstract. Alternatively, you can provide a reference to where the thesis is available online.

I haven’t completed my education – what do I do?

The Swedish Council for Higher Education only evaluates completed qualifications, so it is not possible to have part of your qualification/education evaluated.

If you have not completed your higher educational qualification and want to continue studying in Sweden, you should contact the higher education institution at which you want to study. They can provide you with information about how to apply to have your credits transferred.

If you have not completed your post-secondary vocational education and want to continue studying in Sweden you should contact the education provider you are interested in. They can provide you with information about how to apply to have your credits transferred.

If you have not completed your secondary education and want to plan future studies, talk to a careers and study guidance counsellor.

Last updated: 26 May 2021