No documentation from your foreign education?

If you do not have any documentation of all or part of your foreign higher education, (academic or post-secondary vocational education), you can apply to UHR for a background paper instead of a recognition statement.

Background paper

A background paper is a document that describes your educational background and is an alternative when missing educational documents. The background paper can be used as a basis for further validation, when applying for work or planning future education.

How do I apply?

First, please apply for recognition statement via the web application form.

UHR will look at your application and ask you to provide any documentation that is missing. If you cannot submit the documentation we need to recognise your qualification (and issue a recognition statement), it may be possible for you to apply for a Background paper instead, if so please follow the next steps.

If you have made an application and received a registration number, you should:

  1. Complete the application form for academic education(pdf) or the application form for post secondary vocational education (pdf). Fill it in on the computer and then save it. You must complete one form for each qualification (if you have more than one).
  2. Please make sure you complete the entire form, even if this is information you have previously provided.
  3. Send an e-mail to and submit the form and other documentation you may have. In the subject field, you should write the registration number you received in your confirmation from UHR.
  4. Submit any documentation you might have. This could include certificates from studying and/or work experience, photographs, essays/project work, membership cards for student organisations. State in the form what documentation you are sending.

If you do not know a particular term or expression, you can describe it in your own words.

Who can obtain a Background paper?

You can apply for a background paper if:

  • You have completed a academic or post-secondary vocational education at a recognised education institution outside of Sweden.
  • You cannot obtain the formal documentation necessary for a recognition statement from UHR (e.g. a degree certificate and official transcript).
  • There are good reasons why you cannot obtain your documentation. This may be that you are a refugee or that you completed your qualification in a country at war.
  • You are willing to put time into describing your education, including the subjects you have studied, placements, etc.

What is the difference between a recognition statement and a background paper?

A background paper is different from a recognition statement of a foreign education since it is bases on the information you provide in your application and on the knowledge UHR has about education in the country in which you studied. For a recognition statement, UHR has also checked the authenticity of your study documentation.

Remember that if your application is incomplete or if what you say does not agree with other information that UHR has, we may close your case without providing you with a background paper.

Last updated: 27 June 2018