No documentation from your foreign education?
If you do not have any documentation of all or part of your foreign higher education, (academic or post-secondary vocational education), you can apply to UHR for a background paper instead of a recognition statement.
A background paper is a document that describes your educational background and is an alternative when missing educational documents. The background paper can be used as a basis for further validation, when applying for work or planning future education.
Who can obtain a Background paper?
You can apply for a background paper if:
- You have completed a academic or post-secondary vocational education at a recognised education institution outside of Sweden.
- You cannot obtain the formal documentation necessary for a recognition statement from UHR (e.g. a degree certificate and official transcript).
- There are good reasons why you cannot obtain your documentation. This may be that you are a refugee or that you completed your qualification in a country at war.
- You are willing to put time into describing your education, including the subjects you have studied, placements, etc.
How do I apply?
Complete the application form for background paper (pdf). You must complete one form for each qualification (if you have more than one). If you do not know a particular term or expression, you can describe it in your own words.
- Please make sure you complete the entire form. Fill it in on the computer and then save it.
- Go to our online application utbildningsbedomning-en.uhr.se and create an account
- Submit the form in step 6 (Upload documents) in the online application.
- Also submit any other documentation you might have. This could include certificates from studying and/or work experience, photographs, essays/project work, membership cards for student organisations.
What is the difference between a recognition statement and a background paper?
A background paper is different from a recognition statement of a foreign education since it is bases on the information you provide in your application and on the knowledge UHR has about education in the country in which you studied. For a recognition statement, UHR has also checked the authenticity of your study documentation.
Remember that if your application is incomplete or if what you say does not agree with other information that UHR has, we may close your case without providing you with a background paper.