Mountain guide in Sweden

Mountain Guides lead individuals and groups as they hike, climb and ski in high terrain and on glaciers. This type of environment can be dangerous and mountain guides are specially educated in how to manage it safely.

The mountain guide profession is regulated in Sweden. This means that if you wish to lead others on glaciers and in high mountain environments in Sweden, you should be authorised to work as a mountain guide.

The profession is also regulated in many other countries with an alpine environment. An authorisation is often required from a public authority in the country in which you’d like to work.

Apply for a European professional card 

Mountain guides who wish to work in another EU country can apply for authorisation by applying for a European Professional Card (EPC). The EPC is an online electronic application where you apply to have your education accepted in another EU country. The electronic format means your application can be processed quickly and easily.

Find out more about the European Professional Card (EPC) and how you can apply

If you want to work as a mountain guide in Sweden, you should apply to have your foreign mountain guide education assessed for work in Sweden through the European Professional Card.

Apply directly to UHR

Mountain guides who wish to work permanently in Sweden but can’t apply for a European Professional Card can apply directly to the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) to have their foreign qualification assessed. Use the online application form provided below.

Find out more about how UHR processes personal data

Mountain guide application

Processing time is approximately three to four weeks.
Please note: Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Length of time you plan to work as a mountain guide Required field

To complete your application, please submit the following documents in PDF format:

  • Mountain Guide Diploma
  • Proof of Professional Rights/Mountain Guide License
  • Copy of the picture page of your passport

If you've received an assessment of your foreign mountain guide exam and aren't happy with it, you can submit an appeal of the decision.

Your appeal should be submitted in writing and arrive at UHR no later than three weeks from the date you read the decision.

Be sure to indicate your application number as well as what changes to the decision you're requesting. Your appeal will be made to the Administrative Court in Stockholm, but should be submitted to UHR:

The Swedish Council for Higher Education
Box 4030
SE-171 04 Solna

Last updated: 14 December 2023