Frequently asked questions about recognition of foreign qualifications

You don´t need to wait for the assessment before you apply

If you've completed your upper secondary studies and are ready to apply to a bachelor's programme, the best thing is to apply for courses and programmes directly at

Your foreign upper secondary studies will be assessed during the application process and you don´t need to wait for a recognition statement.

How do I apply?

You will find all the information on how to make your application on the page Instruction.

Do I need BankID to make an application?

You can apply for an assessment without Electronic identification (eID), see Apply without eID - My application

Which documents should I upload?

The documentation requirements for some countries may vary. Usually we need to see these documents in pdf format:

  • Degree certificate/diploma in the original language and translated where necessary.
  • Official transcript – a list of the courses that were included in your degree/qualification.
  • Population registration certificate (personbevis) from the Swedish Tax Agency. If you do not have the opportunity to obtain an identity card, you must instead attach a copy of your passport (for EU/EEA citizens) or a copy of your passport together with proof of the submitted application for a residence permit.
  • Proof of name change if the name on your education documents is different than the name you currently have.

Information about what documents to submit

For some countries, we often request documentation in addition to what we generally require. This can vary depending on what education level you have. Find out what applies by reading the information for your country of study.

What formats of my education documents do you accept?

We can only accept files in pdf format.

If you cannot log in to the web application: take a photo of or scan your documents and upload them to "My pages" or send to Please note that we cannot receive files from a drive or cloud service, they need to be attached to the email.

What do I do if my application has been closed?

If your case with us has been closed and you have more information about the education, you can make a new application in our online application tool or send the requested addition in pdf format to

What education can I get evaluated?

UHR evaluate foreign qualifications from upper-secondary level (that provides entry to higher education) and upwards (post-secondary vocational education and higher education).

Other authorities are responsible for evaluating education and training leading to professions that are regulated in Sweden.

What is needed to get an evaluation?

The following documents can be submitted in order to document your right to apply for an evaluation:

  • Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) – log in with your Bank ID or submit a population registration certificate (personbevis), Swedish driver's licence, or Swedish identity card. You can order a population registration certificate from the Swedish Tax Authority

  • EU/EES citizen - submit a copy of your passport or national identification card. Your passport copy must contain the page with your name and other personal data.

  • Citizen of a country outside the EU/EES – submit a copy of your passport AND documentation of one of the following:
    1. Swedish residence permit, work permit or valid LMA card. If you’re currently in Sweden and waiting for a decision, please submit confirmation from the Swedish Migration Agency that they have received your application.
    2. Family member of an EU citizen – submit a copy of your residence card or certification of right of residence from the Swedish Migration Agency.
    3. Long-term resident of an EU country – You may have the right to a residence permit in Sweden. Find out more at the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

If you live outside EU/EES and do not live up to claim 1-3 you can not apply for an evaluation.

I haven’t completed my education – what do I do?

The Swedish Council for Higher Education only evaluates completed qualifications, so it is not possible to have part of your qualification/education evaluated.

If you have not completed your higher educational qualification and want to continue studying in Sweden, you should contact the higher education institution at which you want to study. They can provide you with information about how to apply to have your credits transferred.

If you have not completed your post-secondary vocational education and want to continue studying in Sweden you should contact the education provider you are interested in. They can provide you with information about how to apply to have your credits transferred.

If you have not completed your secondary education and want to plan future studies, talk to a careers and study guidance counsellor.

I have a foreign PhD – what do I do?

If you want an evaluation of a foreign doctoral degree (PhD) you should state it as the evaluation of a higher education qualification. In addition to certificates and official transcripts, you should append documentation of your thesis: a copy of the thesis' title page, the contents and the summary/abstract. Alternatively, you can provide a reference to where the thesis is available online.

How do I get my documents translated?

Translation of your educational documents must be done by an authorized translator. You cannot translate your documents yourself.

You can find a translator by contacting Kammarkollegiet or the Federation of Authorised Translators. If there are no authorised translators for the language you require, you can use a translator who is a member of the Swedish Association of Professional Translators.

You can also translate your documents in the country where you completed your education, provided that the translation is done by an authorized translator, preferably in English.

Which documents need to be translated?

If you have a upper-secondary education, post secondary vocational education or higher education, documents that are issued in a language other than English, French, Spanish, German or the Nordic languages must be translated. The translation must be done by an authorised translator to Swedish or one of the above languages.

Apostille stamp is not necessary.

What is a regulated profession?

Some professions are regulated through Swedish legislation that defines what is required to work within a certain profession, for example a particular qualification or authorisation, certification or other formal recognition.

If you wish to work in any of the below professions you should contact the competent authority and apply for the right to practise in that profession.

List of all regulated professions

How do I use the statement?

The statement provides guidance for employers or for Swedish higher education institutions if you apply for courses in Sweden. It can be regarded as a complement to your foreign degree, not a replacement.

If you have completed a foreign upper-secondary education and want an evaluation so that you can apply to higher education, the evaluation will look at whether your education gives access to university studies in Sweden or not. If your upper-secondary education gives you access to higher education the recognition statement will also show whether your education provides you with specific entry requirements for particular subjects. You can use this to know what you need to add to your education before continuing to studies at higher level. If you have a vocational upper-secondary education that does not give you access to higher education in Sweden, the recognition statement will show what degree awarded and the alignment of the education. You can then use the statement to show which vocational qualification you have when you are looking for work.

If you have a higher education or a higher vocational education you will receive a statement that compares your foreign qualification to a Swedish degree. In a comment, we describe the focus (content) of the foreign qualification.

The recognition statement is always issued in Swedish as the assessment provides a comparison to the Swedish education system and is intended for the Swedish labour market.

If we are unable to recognise your qualification, i.e. we cannot issue a statement about your education, you will receive a letter in which we explain why. If possible, we refer you to other public authorities and organisations.

What is a digital recognition statement?

The recognition statement is issued as an electronic document with digital certification, not as a paper product. To prove the document is authentic and issued by UHR, a certified document blue bar with signature details is displayed.

It is possible to open the recognition statement in any PDF reader, but the certified document blue bar is only visible in Adobe Acrobat on a computer.

Does it cost anything to apply for an evaluation?

No, the Swedish council for higher education's evaluation of your foreign qualifications is free of charge.

I am not satisfied with my decision

You can contact Universitets- och högskolerådet (UHR) via and request a review if you believe that the recognition statement is incorrect. UHR can then reconsider your case.

You can also request that the court review whether UHR:s decision should be changed by appealing your decision. You will find more about appealing decisions under the title "Review and appeals".

Why aren’t all the subjects I’ve studied on the statement?

UHR’s statement of academic and post-secondary vocational education is primarily an evaluation of educational level and therefore only provides a general indication in terms of subjects. It is up to the relevant higher education institution or employer to make a more detailed assessment of your education.

UHR’s statement on upper-secondary education evaluates both whether your upper-secondary education provides basic eligibility and access for higher education or not and the level to which some upper-secondary subjects are equivalent in Swedish upper-secondary education. UHR only evaluates subjects that may be demanded as specific entry requirements for Swedish higher education. These include mathematics, English, physics, etc. Subjects such as computing, psychology and economics are not specific requirement courses, so these subjects are not included in the statement of your upper-secondary education.

A pure vocational upper-secodanry education will not give access to university studies and therefore no specific subject either.

I want to study abroad. Can UHR evaluate what my degree is equivalent to in that country?

Unfortunately we are unable to do this. UHR evaluates foreign qualifications and finds the Swedish equivalents, not the other way round. It is the job of the host country to make that evaluation.

If you have a Swedish degree and need to find the equivalent for the country in which you want to work or study, you must contact that country’s equivalent to UHR. For example, you can go to

I do not have a Swedish personal identity number - what do I do?

If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number you can still make an application. You do need to upload document(s) that confirms your personal data such as name, birthday, that you are either a citizen of an EU/EEA country or that you have applied for a residence permit in Sweden.

There are several ways to show that you have the right to make an application, see all information: Documenting your right to apply.

I have changed my name – what do I do?

If the name on your certificates is different to that you use now, you will need to prove that you have changed you name. You former name may be on your "personbevis", wedding certificate or other certification that shows both names.

I have a protected identity – what do I do?

If you have a protected identity you should not use the web application. You must then submit an application form.

How does UHR process my personal data?

In order to be able to perform the tasks for which UHR is responsible, we need to process personal data. Find more information regarding how UHR is processing personal data.

How long is the waiting period?

Once we have received all the documents, the normal waiting period is 2 to 5 months.

Please note that you do not need a statement from us to study or apply for a job. If you have a foreign education, you can apply straight to the higher education institution and the evaluation is then carried out in association with your application to study. An employer can contact us by email at any time and get information about the foreign education.

How do I contact the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR)?

If your enquiry relates to the evaluation of foreign qualifications, send an e-mail to

For other questions, se other contacts.

If you have documents you wish to send to us, such as copies or original documents that we have asked you to send to us, please send them to:

The Swedish council for higher education/Universitets- och högskolerådet
PO Box 4030
SE-171 04 Solna

Last updated: 21 June 2023